It’s always a great time to get “Back to Cool” and enjoy a picnic with family and friends.
The refrigerated dairy aisle of your local grocery store can be an excellent source for tasty, convenient selections for your outdoor gatherings, such as cheeses, pieces of bread, jello, dips, puddings, yogurts, juices, and much more.
Try ideas like these for a delicious picnic:
- Make an easy, delicious potato salad with convenient refrigerated potato selections.
- Create and bake delicious snacks with refrigerated bread dough and shredded cheese.
- Stock up on a variety of yogurt flavors and pack fresh fruit for dipping.
- Try the many dips and sour cream selections and bring plenty of fresh vegetables to the picnic.
- Remember the individually packed cheese slices to top grilled hamburgers or enjoy simple snacks.
- Don’t forget the whipped toppings to make any dessert special.
While you are planning your menu, also plan for a safe picnic. Food spoilage and cross-contamination are real concerns when eating food outdoors in warm weather. Be sure to follow these tips from the National Frozen & Refrigerated Foods Association (NFRA) to ensure your picnic is a healthy one:
- Bring water for preparation and cleaning, pack clean, wet, disposable cloths or moist towelettes and paper towels to clean hands, surfaces, and utensils.
- It’s essential to keep hot food hot and cold food cold during the picnic.
- Carry cold perishable foods in an insulated cooler packed with ice or frozen gel packs. Make sure raw meat and poultry are wrapped securely to prevent juices from cross-contaminating.
- If bringing hot take-out food such as fried chicken, eat it within two hours of purchase or plan ahead and chill the food in the fridge before packing in an insulated cooler.
- Don’t stock the cooler until immediately before leaving from home. Keep the cooler in the coldest part of the car when traveling.
It can be great fun to enjoy a picnic with family and friends and many “cool foods” make it easier.
Refrigerated Treats, cool event, fun, tips, party, recipes